March 3, 2009 18

Further updates

By in daily grind, love

1. My ring

As anyone could guess, it weighs a ton and took me a while to get used to. Typing was the hardest adjustment-I worried for a while that my s and w keys would be broken, but they’re fine. It’s been well received by everyone-literally everyone-who sees it in real life (and not so much online, but that’s ok. To the person who called it “hellaciously ugly”, what you say is what you are, anyone who read that comment was thinking the same of you, I promise) other than my boss’s mom who can not wrap her head around a skull ring as engagement ring. The dark acid wash has faded quite a bit, especially on the side that rubs against my pinky ring (another piece of jewelry from Shannon, made in our Stainless days). That side is bright, shiny silver. There are also a couple dings on the head from it being bashed occasionally. Like I said, it’s heavy.

ring

2. My hair.

It’s great! We’re still going the no ‘poo method and I’ve never been less stressed about my hair. I used to battle it every day but now I just let it be. Every Saturday morning I brush it out before I get in the shower (which, I know, goes against the rules, but if I tried to comb it in the shower I’d be there for days) then I get in, wet it and lather up with conditioner (we found Suave which is cheap and smells great). I let it sit for a few minutes then rinse with cool water. I squeeze as much water out as possible, bent over the tub and sometimes I even give it one quick pat (but not a rub) with my towel. Then I plop, or, wrap my head in a clean t shirt. I hang out like this for no more than half an hour, then let it down and put some curl defining gel or cream in it. Done.  I think in warmer weather I will do it twice a week, but for now, I can not leave my apartment with wet hair (it freezes). It might sound funny, but I haven’t used shampoo in almost 3 months! Yay!

18 Responses to “Further updates”

1. Personally I love your ring – it totally suits you.
    Yay for the no-poo method! Glad it’s working well for you.

2. Joan says:

I adore your ring, and I think it becomes even more beautiful when people find out Shannon put in the effort to design it for you based on art you love. I also think it’s so awesome that on one hand you have three rings representing your history together.
    It’s sad some petty sadexcuse for a person triedto insult it out of spite or misplaced jealousy, but you are right, it shows them for what they truly are inside and out, ugly.
    Be happy and forget the bitter ones

ANNNNND, I have been trying your method, I do shampoo once a week or sometimes once every two weeks, but I condition every day. My hair is better than ever, plus my colour lasts soooo much longr without all the ‘poo washing t away

3. Caitlin Jane says:

Yeah, seriously, my mom got pretty choked up about the ring once she got to hold it and see the inside of it.

4. BusyBee says:

ok, ok, ok, I need a full explanation of the hair rules. It sounds so much healthier for the hair and much less drying.
    Thanks.

5. candyrot says:

i don’t use shampoo or conditioner either. i actually can’t remember the last time i washed my hair on a regular basis (haha that sounds awful)! its amazing though-my hair is SUPER thick, curly, frizzy and can get out of control easily but minus the ‘poo and such and its perfect. i let it air dry and its ready to go, even without any product. what you said sums it up wonderfully: “I used to battle it every day but now I just let it be.”

oh, and your ring is lovely :)

6. Caitlin Jane says:

Look up curly girl no shampoo and you’ll find out all about it. I have pretty plush hair to begin with, but you’re right about it being healthy.

The main thing is to avoid all silicone or whatever word+cone in your conditioner…

7. Sarah says:

no poo is excelent. i wish i had written a book about it before laurine massey or whatever the lady’s name is who published the book. i went no poo a decade before that book came out!

8. Rach says:

I’m glad the no poo method is working out! I was wondering how that went. I wash mine at night a lot and sleep with it up on the top of my head in a high ponytail. It doesn’t turn out as nice as it would if I didn’t sleep on it, but my hair takes so long to dry and I hate getting up early.

And I think your ring is fantastic. I think I even mentioned it to someone in unrelated conversation just to mention the great ring I’d recently seen.

9. Caitlin Jane says:

I didn’t tell this story yet, but now seems appropriate:

I work above a nice (although expensive) health food store, Noah’s. I shop there because it’s convenient and honestly, their selection of organic beauty stuff is excellent. The last time I was there was to buy rosehip oil that I slather on my face post shower-it’s the best stuff in the world. Anyway, the girl working the counter is really nice, we’ve talked in the past, and she sees my ring and was like OH MY GOD I LOVE YOUR RING! Then when I told her it was my engagement ring, she darn near shit her pants, she was really excited. I let her hold it and she showed it off to a co worker. It was so nice and fun.

Then, on my way out, she says “You know, in high school, I always said that when I got engaged I’d go for matching NOSE RINGS instead of standard engagement rings!” And I laughed so hard, (so did she) and said “Yeah, that sounds like high school to me!”

10. krsONE says:

The ring is bitchin’. I LOVE big chunky rings…i own two japanese demon tattoo themed custom jobs, they make me feel like i could Hulk-smash things if needed. :P

11. Caitlin Jane says:

Hm, I’d love to see those rings, Chris. Uh, Krs.

You could email me pictures. :D

12. kristin says:

your ring is so bad ass and anyone who hates on it is dumb anyways, diamonds aren’t even rare. i’m intrigued by this no shampooing, but i constantly touch my hair and it looks sooooooooo oily if i don’t wash it everyday so i’m interested in how often you used to shampoo your hair before?

13. Allahkat says:

I think the ring is awesome and so totally you.

14. Caitlin Jane says:

Thanks, ladies.

Before I stopped washing my hair with shampoo, I washed it every 2 weeks. But probably less than that. 2 weeks is my official statement.

To be fair, I have a TON of hair. I could pour olive oil on it and it wouldn’t look greasy. Although Shannon’s doing the same thing as me and his hair looks good too, he just does the conditioner thing more often. He has fine, fairy hair.

15. krsONE says:

Cait,
    I will take some sassy hand model pics this weekend, hopefully holding a Guinness.

16. MissJanet says:

I tried the no poo stuff, but my hair and skalp is just not accepting it. May be that I’m depending on Shampoo, but with dandruff, greasy, totally straight, super thin hair with mayor hair loss between March and October, resulting into visible growing zones – it just don’t seem to work for me. Bummer.

Short version – what is left of my hair looks terrible.

I’m washing it with “Head and Shoulders” every day and I guess that is wrong, but what can I do?

17. Lacy says:

“He has fine, fairy hair.”

hah that had me literally laughing out loud.

I LOVE your ring. Talk about me being mega jealous.
    I worked at a jewelry store for 2 years and the second I saw this my dream engagement ring went from your typical gold diamond extravaganza ring to a dead ringer.
    Just sayin. :)

18. [...] admit it, after almost a year, I shampooed my hair tonight. I’d washed it with Dr. Bronner’s peppermint soap a couple [...]