June 18, 2011 6

Finally!

By in Art!, crochet, love, making stuff is good

Funny, when you keep a secret for SO long and then the pressure comes down and everything seems to happen so quickly after grinding along for so long.

I made my sister a quilt. I told a lot of people, friends and co-quilters (and I think I posted progress on twitter, which it turns out she subscribes to, eeek!) but couldn’t blog about it until now. And because she visited last week I had a lot of work to do. The grunt work.  Making the back, putting the sandwich together, doing all the quilting and finally the binding. And I got some printer fabric so I made a nice label that had to be sewn on too.

Needless to say, she loved it, thank goodness. I was pretty sure, when Jana gave me a collection of fat quarters, that I’d be using them for a sister project. And I’d wanted to do a full quilt of half-square-triangles (not daunting at all!) so I got coordinating solids (Kona) from the workroom and a couple extra fat quarters as matchy as possible and got to work. The back is thrifted gingham and a pieces from the front. I quilted the front with glow in the dark thread!

It’s not huge, only about 56″ square, but big enough to snuggle under. The best part of quilting is saying goodbye to the project!

6 Responses to “Finally!”

1. cj's sis says:

I can’t tell you how much I love it and appreciate your hard work!! That quilt is perfect for me!
    xoxo

2. Steph says:

That’s awesome! Your sister is very lucky :)

3. Krys says:

Aw, it’s gorgeous! Bet parting with it was just a little bit difficult, even if it was going to a great home :)

4. Caitlin Jane says:

Honestly? Giving it away was the best part because I had NO doubt that it would be appreciated and cherished forever. I love making stuff for my sister! But I know what you mean, more often than not I’m reluctant when it comes to giving hand made items away. This is why I have 2 big bins of hats/scarves/mitts. Parting is such sweet sorrow, sometimes.

5. andrea says:

LOVE the backing. I’m envious of your ability to choose amazing bold colours and patterns. :) Somehow you always make all those busy patterns work perfectly!

6. Caitlin Jane says:

Thanks. I actually struggled with this one, I went through a long phase of wishing I’d picked one dang solid for all the triangles, it would have been so much easier to lay out. I’m glad I didn’t, of course! The back was just luck, finding the black and white gingham at the right moment. Otherwise I probably would have used a Kona solid, I guess.